Every Child Deserves An Equal Start At School
But Inequity Exists
What is the problem?
- Nationwide 70% of low-income children begin school behind
- Kindergarten readiness is the #1 indicator of academic success — let’s start ready
Why work on learning before school?
Young children’s brains are primed for learning:
- Memory, language, communication and reasoning skills peak between ages 2 to 5
- 90% of brain development is complete by age 5
- Investing in early childhood education is cost effective and more effective than trying to correct deficits later
Covid creates new obstacles for low-income families
- Only 27% of preschools in San Mateo county are operating
- Headstart is operating at 40% enrollment due to social distancing space requirements
- Financial hardships make it extremely difficult to participate in a fee based program
Learning Home Volunteers’ mission is to ensure that each child,
regardless of their economic circumstances,
gets an equal start at school.
Our Learning At Home With Us program
Free for low-income families with children ages 2 to 5 in San Mateo County.
Learning materials are delivered to the home regularly for learning sessions.
Training and support for the families throughout the program.
Provides a set of core books and a customized selection of books each month.