Every Child Deserves An Equal Start At School
But Inequity Exists
What is the problem?
Why work on learning before school?
Children’s brains are primed for learning:
- 90% of brain development is complete by age 5
- Memory, language, communication and reasoning skills peak between ages 2 to 5
- Investing in early childhood education is cost effective and more effective than trying to correct deficits later
Covid creates new obstacles for low-income families
- Only 27% of preschools in San Mateo county are operating
- Headstart is operating at 40% enrollment due to social distancing space requirements
- Financial hardships make it more difficult to participate in a fee based program
Learning Home Volunteers’ mission is to ensure each child,
regardless of their economic circumstances,
gets an equal start a school.
Our Learning At Home With Us program
Free for low-income families with children ages 2 to 5 in San Mateo County.
Provides a set of core books and a customized selection of books each month.
Training and support for the families throughout the program.
Learning materials are delivered to the home for the learning session along with customized learning for the child.