Every child deserves an equal start at school
…But inequity exists
What is the problem
- Nationwide 70% of low-income children begin school behind
- Kindergarten readiness is the #1 indicator of academic success — let’s start ready
Why work on learning before school?
- Memory, language, communication and reasoning skills peak between ages 2 to 5
- 90% of brain development is complete by age 5
- Investing in early childhood education is cost effective and more effective than trying to correct deficits later
Covid creates new obstacles for low-income families
- Only 27% of preschools in San Mateo county are operating
- Headstart is operating at 40% enrollment due to social distancing space requirements
- Financial hardships make it extremely difficult to participate in a fee-based program
How does our program work?
Our program is free for low-income families with children age 2–5 in San Mateo County.
Learning materials and activities are delivered to families’ homes on a regular basis.
Training and support is provided to our families throughout the three years they are with us.
We provide families with a set of core books to start, and a customized selection of books every month.