Helping Each Child Get An Equal Start At School
What is the problem?
- Disadvantaged families have just 51% opportunity to learn according to Schott’s Foundation’s opportunity index
- Nationwide 70% of low-income children begin school behind
- Locally, the situation is worse; for example, in the Ravenswood School district 73% enter school unprepared, approximately 18 months to 2 years behind higher income children
- Kindergarten readiness is the #1 indicator of academic success. Let’s start ready!
Why work on learning before school?
Children’s brains are primed for learning:
- 90% of brain development is complete by age 5
- Memory, language, communication and reasoning skills peak between ages 2 to 5
- Investing in early childhood education is cost effective and more effective than trying to correct deficits later
Covid creates new obstacles for low-income families:
- Only 27% of preschools in San Mateo county are operating
- Headstart is operating at 40% enrollment due to social distancing space requirements
- Financial hardships make it more difficult to participate in a fee based program
How does our program work?
Learning Home Volunteers works with low-income families with children ages 2 thru 5. We work with children and parents in their home to prepare them to be ready to enter school. Through the public’s generous donations, we are able to offer our program free to participants.
We work with families in their homes and empower the child’s first and longest teachers, their parents.
We provide a teaching kit for the parents which contains basic materials they will need as they work with their child.
The kits enrich learning by providing hands-on materials for the child to use in learning through play.
We provide a core set of books and 2 books per month to introduce the child to the gift of reading.
Each learning session provides theme-based learning. Each session includes books that are read and 6–7 activities. Materials are delivered to the home every three weeks. Included in the materials are additional customized learning materials chosen to delight that particular child.